Karavana Flamenca plays Rumba Flamenca (Spanish gypsy street music) with virtuosity and authenticity rarely seen outside of Spain. This urban flamenco style fuses the rhythms of Afro –Cuba to the melodies of traditional flamenco. Duelling flamenco guitars, percussion drive the rhythm; vocals and guitar sing the haunting tunes. “The words don’t matter when Ovejero sings” one reviewed exclaimed “its pure heart-wrenching emotion” The breath-taking intensity of Karavana Flamenca spells Gypsy Fiesta every performance!
Karavana Flamenca has influences from traditional Flamenco, Moorish, Romany and Cuban music. The band pays respect to artists such as Jose Reyes ( founder and father of 4 members of the Gypsy Kings) , Rumba Flamenca artist Peretz, Flamenco fusion band “Ketama” and the great cantaores (singers) of Flamenco including Camaron de la Isla , La Paquera de Jerez, Marelu and Potito. Karavana Flamenca plays many original compositions and arrangements which fuse the broad skills and styles, traditional and modern instruments (eg oud and electric bass) with the outstanding talent and diverse cultural (Spanish, Romany, Turkish and Australian) backgrounds of the members
THE BAND MEMBERS
Miguel Antonio Ovejero, of Spanish Romany background has been performing Rumba Flameca since his teens.His experiences has taken him from small cafes in Buenos Aires to major festivals and concert halls. His greatly admired vocals have been reviewed as “mystical…the words don’t matter when Ovejero; it’s just pure heart-wrenching emotion” D. Carroll , Independent Weekly (Una Noche De Flamenco) Ovejero also plays flamenco guitar,arranges and composes. Multi-instrumentalist Tamer Taskaya from Turkey, excels in showing the Moorish roots of Flamenco on the oud. He has performed internationally, playing bass with artists such as Yucel Arzen. He has had numerous arrangements and compositions recorded. Lisa Ovejero plays percussion including cajon, which traditionally accompanies flamenco, and keyboard.. Demircan Direk, on inspired rhythm guitar and vocals has performed with numerous flamenco bands Australia-wide.
Karavana Flamenca has performed at major festivals, corporate functions and events, bars, restaurants and wineries Australia-wide. The band formed over five years ago and has proved itself with outstanding musicianship and recognition Australia-wide. The band has had acclaimed performances at Port Fairy Folk Festival , Canberra National Folk Festival, Cygnet Folk Festival and finally as support act for the Gipsy Kings during their recent Australian tour
Festivals/ gigs include:
- Concurs Valencia International paella competition 2018
- Cygnet Folk Festival 2017
- Palais Theatre St Kilda, April 2015 Gipsy Kings support
- Thebarton Theatre Adelaide 2015 Gipsy Kings support
- Port Fairy Folk Festival 2015
- Canberra National Folk Festival 2014
- Queenstown Arts and Heritage Festival 2014
- Boite World Music Series, annual shows
- Face of Australia World Music Festival 2014
- VIVA VICTORIA FESTIVAL, Federation Square , Melbourne, March 20013
- VENTANA STREET FIESTA, Frankston, March 2013 March 2015
- Food and Wine Festival 2013 Foodies Feast.
- Paco Festa, Geelong Feb 2013
- Phillip Island MUSICFEST March 2013
- Boolarra Folk Festival March 2013, 2014
- Sale Picnic on the Green Music Festival March 2013
- Fairfield Amphitheatre, Summer Series ” Basque in the Sun, Songs of Spies and Romance” MAV
- Salamanca Arts Centre, Hobart , Jan 2013
- Margate Brookfield, Tasmania Jan, 2013
- Cygnet Festival Tasmania Jan 2013
- Victoria Market Wednesday night Market , Nov,2012
- Coal Creek, Spanish Gypsy Fiesta Nov 2012
- The ARC, Yinnar, Spanish Gypsy Fiesta
- CELAS Sounds of My Land Festival at Docklands, Oct 2012
- International Gypsy Festival at the Corner Hotel.
- Brimbank Festival. Sunshine, March 2012
- Residency at Simply Spanish, South Melbourne market, 2010-2012