Karavana Flamenca plays Rumba Flamenca (Spanish gypsy street music) with virtuosity and authenticity rarely seen outside of Spain. This urban flamenco style fuses the rhythms of Afro –Cuba to the melodies of traditional flamenco. Duelling flamenco guitars, percussion drive the rhythm; vocals and guitar sing the haunting tunes. “The words don’t matter when Ovejero sings” one reviewer exclaimed “its pure heart-wrenching emotion” The breath-taking intensity of Karavana Flamenca spells Gypsy Fiesta every performance!
Karavana Flamenca has influences from traditional Flamenco, Moorish, Romany and Cuban music. The band pays respect to artists such as Jose Reyes ( founder and father of 4 members of the Gypsy Kings) , Rumba Flamenca artist Peretz, Flamenco fusion band “Ketama” and the great cantaores (singers) of Flamenco including Camaron de la Isla , La Paquera de Jerez, Marelu and Potito. Karavana Flamenca plays many original compositions which fuse the broad skills and styles, traditional and modern instruments (eg oud and electric bass) with the outstanding talent and diverse cultural (Spanish, Romany, South American Turkish and Australian) backgrounds of the members
THE BAND MEMBERS
Miguel Antonio Ovejero, of Spanish Romany background has been performing Rumba Flameca since his teens.His music has taken him from small cafes in Buenos Aires to major festivals and concert halls. His greatly admired vocals have been reviewed as “mystical…the words don’t matter when Ovejero; it’s just pure heart-wrenching emotion” D. Carroll , Independent Weekly (Una Noche De Flamenco) Ovejero also plays flamenco guitar,arranges and composes.
Lisa Ovejero: keyboard and percussion
David Matthews : timbales and cajon are David’s passion after a thirty year apprenticship on kit drum with numerous bands.
Demircan Direk, on inspired rhythm guitar and vocals has performed with numerous flamenco bands Australia-wide.
Diego Neder :bass from Argentina, Diego has taken his bass word wide touring with tango ensembles and funk bands
Karavana Flamenca has performed at major festivals, corporate functions and events, bars, restaurants and wineries Australia-wide. The band has proven itself with outstanding musicianship and recognition Australia-wide. The band has had acclaimed performances at Port Fairy Folk Festival , Canberra National Folk Festival, Cygnet Folk Festival and finally as support act for the Gipsy Kings during their recent Australian tour
Festivals/ gigs include:
- Concurs Valencia International paella competition
- Cygnet Folk Festival
- Palais Theatre St Kilda, Gipsy Kings support
- Thebarton Theatre Adelaide Gipsy Kings support
- Port Fairy Folk Festival
- Canberra National Folk Festival
- Queenstown Arts and Heritage Festival
- Boite World Music Series, annual shows
- Face of Australia World Music Festival
- VIVA VICTORIA FESTIVAL, Federation Square , Melbourne,
- VENTANA STREET FIESTA, Frankston,
- Food and Wine Festival Foodies Feast.
- Paco Festa, Geelong
- Phillip Island MUSICFEST March
- Boolarra Folk Festival March
- Sale Picnic on the Green Music Festival
- Fairfield Amphitheatre, Summer Series ” Basque in the Sun, Songs of Spies and Romance” MAV
- Salamanca Arts Centre, Hobart
- Margate Brookfield, Tasmania Jan
- Victoria Market Wednesday night Market
- Coal Creek, Spanish Gypsy Fiesta
- The ARC, Yinnar, Spanish Gypsy Fiesta
- CELAS Sounds of My Land Festival at Docklands
- International Gypsy Festival at the Corner Hotel.
- Brimbank Festival. Sunshine